Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

You couldn't have picked a worse example

The entire Stereo Times vs. Jonathan Scull episode was so stupid and devoid of evidence that only a mental defective would have fooled by ST's "case." There wasn't a single fact in ST's accusations against Mr. Scull that could be independently verified by anyone else. All the sources were anonymous "industry insiders" or unnamed "reviewer friends." An alleged memo was mentioned but was not directly quoted either partially or in its entirety.

The most appalling aspect of the entire controversy was that Stereo Times allowed James Saxon - a Richard Gray dealer! - to criticize Jonathan Scull's review:

By committing his hatchet job to print, Scull slashed out at a small manufacturer, dealers with RGPC inventory (such as I) [emphasis mine], and consumers who may have been frightened away from adding this worthwhile product to their systems.

Publishing a whining complaint by a dealer that a negative review may cost him money, a review that even the dealer himself acknowledges may be correct ("it is possible that Scull reported the truth as he heard it. I won't call the man a liar"), was simply reprehensible and inexcusable. No one with any sort of financial interest in the success of the Richard Gray product should have been commenting on it at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.