Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: It's obvious, at least to many prospective customers

Showing an MSRP gives at least a frame of reference, especially when the product is obscure or exotic. Without some price reference, the would-be buyer is in the dark, especially since interconnect cables range in price up to five figures and there's no way to look at a cable on a website and come within guessing distance of its price range.

In the dark?

What, are some people truly so stupid it would simply never occur to them to go to the people they'd actually be buying the cables from to get pricing? If they're that stupid, I'd just as soon they buy from someone else. It would save me from having to answer a bunch of phone calls and EMails from people asking how to plug them in.

As for MSRP, that stands for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. So, who is that retail price being suggested to? It's being suggested to those who are doing the actual selling, i.e. the retailers. But it's only a suggestion, and being only a suggestion, the retailers can ultimately sell them for whatever they want. So what's the point?

I mean, I could choose some arbitrarily high MSRP, sell the cables to my dealers for small fraction of that, the dealers can offer them at a price substantially less than the MSRP and mindfuck their customers about what a "special" deal they're getting.

So I don't see that a published MSRP imparts any truly meaningful information to the customer. Speaking for myself as a consumer, I don't give a shit about MSRPs. I just want to know what they're actually going to cost.

I guess I forgot though, that you're not really interested in selling enough of them that you want to risk breaking a sweat :-)

Mmmm. Well, Kimber has been quite successful at selling cables. Far more cables than I'll ever sell or would want to sell. And I don't see any prices on their website. So the lack of an MSRP on a manufacturer's website doesn't seem to be any barrier to success.

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: It's obvious, at least to many prospective customers - Steve Eddy 13:15:36 01/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.