Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: "There is no "regular" price of $19.94" - yes there is

Geez, Steve, don't be such a drama queen. This isn't a question of morality. We're not talking Sophie's Choice here. What you're seeing is the normal marketing and pricing schemes of magazine publishers.

So because sleaze is the norm it's ok? No, it's no Sophie's Choice, but it is a choice just the same. So why did Primedia choose sleaze? Why couldn't they simply have offered the two years for $19.94 without all the other bullshit? Does the other bullshit actually end up retaining subscribers more than it would otherwise? If it does, what's that say about subscribers? What's it say about how Primedia views its subscribers?

As for "there is no 'regular' price of $19.94," I'm afraid you're quite wrong. I believe the USPS requires it to be published in every issue of the magazine. Take a look at the fine print at the bottom of page 135 in the February Stereophile for instance. It says right there "Subscription rates for one year US, APO, FPO, and US Possessions $19.94."

Ok, you got me there. The $19.94 price is published in the magazine. In fine print. For the purpose of complying with federal postal regulations.

But when has a one year subscription to Stereophile ever actually been offered at that price? Has it ever actually been offered at that price? It hasn't in the past four years that I've noticed. So I don't see how it can be considered a "regular" price in any meaningful way.

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.