Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Primedia Weasels Part Deux

Just as I said I'd do in a previous post, I waited until mid- late January to renew my Stereophile subscription for another year for $12.95 (which it turns out has been one year to the day that I last renewed).

So I go to the Stereophile website and find that you can no longer renew for just one year at $12.95. Instead, you can only renew for two years at $19.94.

Now, I realize that this is ultimately a good deal for anyone who wants to commit for two years. But what caught my attention was this:

Because you're one of our most valued customers, we're offering you the chance to renew your subscription ONLINE at our regular one-year rate of $19.94 and we'll send you a second year free!

Well gee, if I'm one of their most valued customers, why don't they offer me a chance to renew my subscription for two years for the $12.95 one year rate I've been paying for four years now?

But what's with this "regular one-year rate of $19.94"?

If I go over to the subscribe page, I can start a NEW one-year subscription for $12.95.

Oh, wait, it says "During this special online offer..."

Ok. So I pick up the phone and call subscription services. I specifically ask, "What is the regular one-year subscritpion rate?"

Answer? $12.95.

So who the hell is paying this "regular" one-year rate of $19.94? No one I'd bet.

It seems Primedia has a "regular" rate that no one pays and a "special online rate" that's also offered offline and isn't special at all.

!@#$% weasels.

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Primedia Weasels Part Deux - Steve Eddy 11:07:32 01/23/07 (55)

You can not post to an archived thread.