Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: TAS...

I would agree, but having said that, Stereophile lately is just been useless. I miss TAS and Sound & Vision much more.

TAS right now rules in all areas, at least they try to tell you compared to the real thing what a unit does god or does not.

I can read through the crap based on my experience. Highly detailed means bright by the end of the review, full and musical means warm, be nice to hear them mix and match a warm amp with a colder preamp etc.

Digital is in its golden age right now, it a great time for us still in this hobby, tubes are great, solid state is musical and some digital is to die for, including sound of the newest recordings over the past 5 years or so.

Be nice see the audio folks start to push this more and make it more widely known throughout the audio community not just us select few and that is the problem with high-end, it market for the select few who can afford it, and it dies after that.

Everyone is to blame, the product lines should cover all markets at least up to mid-hi-fi ranges and this could and would grow the hobby to more people.

$20,000 dollar amps, $40,000 reviews are a waste even for most audiophiles, the reviewers and we cannot even afford them, so why review it if very few can or will pay that type of equipment.

It is turning more people off then on. I just flip over them. I hear those systems at times and all they do is play loud, turn them down to normal listening levels and you be surprised at how close much, much cheaper gear comes to it sound quality, this is what reviewers should be talking about, educating the community.

Mark Fremmer reviewed a CD player and it was out of phase due to a wiring error, he thought it sounded great..nuff said about reviewers ears there no better then me or you, but it liked it, $45,000 unit could make you think your hearing things you never heard before because your supposed it, just like $15,000 speaker wires and power cords.

If I spent that much I hear god talk to me to so I would not feel foolish and I hate to say it that I have at times, I got caught up in the hype and BS which some reviewers sold us hook line and sinker, I know many people in the mid-90’s who washed there hands of this hobby due to the crap being sold as truth.

Let’s hope for the best. The digital age is here to stay, you have 20 years of computer and video games hobbyist so how do we reach them, and perhaps we cannot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.