Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Music delivery HAS changed

Without the IPod how would you carry 21 hours of CD quality music in your pocket and listen to it through some very nice Entymotic or Shure ear buds? Before it would have been 21 cds, a Discman. Not quite as portable. Maybe not class A, but still pretty remarkable.

If you listened to music through your computer through a Digital AudioLabs Card Delux or as I have through my MAudio DIO 2448 for years, computer audio is coming around. Even more so now. What can be wrong with listening to quality audio while working, which many do now. Listening to this through a small Creek amp, or the little Jolida 1301 tube integrated and some Triangle Titus or Epos 5's might not to be shabby. Even through some Grado or Sennheiser's would be nice.

It may not be Mac or Lamm, but to dismiss it out of hand as not up to Class A standards is to miss the point of the manufacturer. The quality of portable or computer audio has never been higher and will continue to get higher as people continue to use their computer hard drives as whole house music servers and through a very good sound card distribute throughout the house to some excellent Mac or Lamm amps.

Maybe Sony one day will let loose of the DSD stream and Ed Meitner will make some unbelievable sound card/breakout box and send computer audio soaring. One can dream. Anything to try and reverse the MP3 trend should be welcome. The more buyers that get moved up the high end ladder could mean lowers prices and the continued support of high-rez formats. Just what those living in Class A land will need: higher rez software.

Every issue of "Phile" seems to have much Class A products for most to enjoy reading about. I would have to wonder if a magazine just dedicated to just covering those products that might make it to Class A could survive. I do not think so. I would bet there are many who own class A gear that do not read TAS or Stereophile. They had the ability to buy and their dealer did the rest.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Music delivery HAS changed - Jim Tavegia 18:38:51 10/01/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.