Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: What benefit preamp?

I'd add to, or rather subtract from, Paul J's remarks, that no level control is needed in the integrated amp if a passive volume control, resistor-based or transformer-based (RVC or TVC), is used. Each of these has its fierce advocates and detractors, and you'll never know until you give them a fair try yourself. I went from a $6000 Convergent Audio Technology SL-1 active preamp to a $120 Chase RLC passive, and was struck by the new transparency. I've never gone back and never will. On the other hand, Bottlehead's own Grainger M, whose wisdom in our Forum is almost legendary, believes that there's no "drive" without an active preamp. Maybe it's a matter of what counts the most with any given listener. Incidentally, there's no better place than RVC's or TVC's to learn how heavily wire influences sound, even when just a few 4" lengths are used. I learned what junk Kimber AGSS is, last seen at $18.50 per foot, by comparing it with some superthin wire that needed to have its Teflon insulation burned off, the wire then cleaned with alcohol.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What benefit preamp? - nicetom@netscape.com 07:55:18 10/08/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.