Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

SEXy substitute driver

I have been using a pair of Fostex FE167E based BR speakers along with a pair of powered 8" subs this summer, driven by my SEX amp. Nearfield setup, played at low/medium volumes, in a small room.

The Fostex 167s have broken in nicely, but I still have an issue with the whizzers every now and then, calling attention to themselves.

Just for giggles and kicks, I ordered a pair of Fostex FF165Ks, to try out. I had read the FFs are better for nearfield setups (such as the nearfield Abbys). I temporally threw them in the BR cabinets, to check out. Even though just a day's worth of break-in, I already can tell these will disappear better in my room, although they are in the wrong cabinet.

So, my question is, can I install these in a pair of the Dayton curved .25 ft.3 cabinets, in the SEXy “sealed" configuration, and get similar results (i.e. rolloff, damping etc.) as if I were using the FE166Es? See link for the specs.

Edits: 09/20/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - SEXy substitute driver - johnvb 16:24:51 09/20/09 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.