Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Hey Doc, how will you be implementing the crossover?

Egad man, I'm on the brink of my wildest adventure! Don't bore me with details! ;^)>

I probably will use a line level crossover of some sort, and a preamp with a low output impedance and a s***load of drive (FPIII, anyone?). Rigging up a speaker level crossover for each woofer would be a PITA, plus it would be possible to tweak the filter curve for each driver within each amp, allowing for experimentation with frequency shading. All that said we may end up having to do some correction at the drivers as well. I would put a stepped level control on each amp as well, so that we can easily experiment with amplitude shading as well. I haven't turned PJ loose on this one yet. At some point he will analyze the setup and make a first cut at a crossover design.

Another interesting idea for this project is that we could use Paramounts with the same fully shunt regulated circuit as the shunt reg 45. Instead of a direct coupled 2A3 amp we would build a cap coupled 2A3 amp. This leaves voltage headroom for the shunt regulator. So you are putting about 24W into each array rather than the 64W you would see with 300B Paramounts. You should still be able to hit something like 106dB peaks, and every tube in the signal chain would be shunt regulated.

If I use the slot tweeter version of the S8 instead of the ribbon version, being driven by the 45 amp the slot tweeter should not have much trouble keeping up. The only issue is that the slot tweeter doesn't go as high as the ribbon. However it integrates at the crossover point better. I could put my plasma tweeters on top to add some HF extension, though they can't play very loud (maybe a good thing?). Or some ribbons could be crossed over at some very HF. Might be worth trying, or it might be a mess because of phase problems between the tweeters.

Ooooh, this is going to be fun. Once this one is done I'll get back to my concrete near field monitor project.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Hey Doc, how will you be implementing the crossover? - Doc B. 07:37:53 05/23/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.