Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Me seeing as follows:

Hi Hank!

It is possible to follow the component upgrade path and go to the ultimate: e.g. 300B path.

While I remember that Doc's B-Glow uses Magnequest PGP8.1 power transformer,thus it is definitely possible (provided you substitute your power transformer that came with the PAramour kit with PGP8.1 and many other things) to go with it. But then you will need another parafeed choke (300B can go as hot as 100mA), another parafeed output (This you will need TFA2004). Staying with the original Paramour parafeed choke and PAramour parafeed output transformer will leave you with too many compromise.

I think we need to clarify on the upgrade path a bit:

I know the potential is limitless but, I'm absolutely sure that with component changes you can go from Paramour into DC'ed PAraGlow with PGP8.1 and so on. You can even use 6N1P direct coupled into 2A3!

Unfortunately it is not possible, even with PGP8.1 as power transformer, to do direct coupling into 300B with 6N1P due to insufficient potential (you'll need at least 360V +220V =580V filtered DC to do so). In other words, you are limited to cap-coupling only.

Also be very careful about botique type 300B. Unlike 2A3 which is pretty much standard in the filament voltage and current requirements, depending on manufacturer, 300B can go as little as 1.2A and as much as 1.9A @ 5V!

Hope these info helps.

Quest ;^>

p.s. Have you ever consider getting a pair of ParaBees or B-Glows instead of following the upgrade paths?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Me seeing as follows: - Quest 21:56:10 10/09/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.