Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

A few questions before I start out.

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a pair of Airforce edition Prometheus and thinking ahead about baffle construction.

I'll go dipole all the way with 15" Hawthorne Augies doing bass. Baffle will be trapezoid, maybe 55cm wide at the base and 35cm at the top. As far as my reading have indicted, what I need is 6.5cm of baffle to the sides of the widebander, and ear height at the top edge of the widebander. Could someone confirm this?

Also, I was thinking of putting a few degrees of lean-back in the baffle, just to have it stand more securely. Would this then require a slight lowering of driver heights to keep the ear on-axis with the top edge of the widebander? Please let me know if there might be any unwanted side affects to tilting the baffles that I havent thought of.

Lastly, what is your opinions on covering the front side of the baffle, around the widebander and tweeter, with 9.5mm thick wool felt? This has proved beneficial int he past.

OK one more questions seeing as there are probably a lot of clued up people around here: With the 15" bass driver that I plan to use in dipole configuration, would you vote to have it sit up relatively snug beneath the widebander (perhaps better time coherency, and maybe more output given dipole woofers figure 8 radiation patern), or would you vote to put it pretty snug with the floor for more boundary gain? or does it even matter?

Many thanks for the help.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - A few questions before I start out. - b. 11:11:25 07/20/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.