Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Question on Baffle shape and wofer configuration

Hi Andy,

1) There is no technical advantage using round baffles, only the special look. The original Apollo baffle design is protected and not available for diy but there is a number of "Apollo look alike" Prometheus out there.
2) When you use a good and stable platter for the baffle the separation of woofers has minor influence in sound.
3)You can make the baffles up to 60cm wide without negative effects.
4)Upgrading the caps is a big step when your electronics is on a high level. There are also new 1 Mf Bastanis caps available which are included in the kits with the Airforce/Gemini tweeters. They are available separately, when you are interested please mail me. The official introduction of these caps will be later this year in springtime.
Answers the other questions from your additional post:
The flare isn`t needed when the baffle thickness is up to around 22mm. Most customers use thicker baffles, here the straight "step" before the wideband may not become too big and you need a flare. Beside the technical aspects the look of flared cut- outs for the widebands is much better.
I don`t recommend smaller cut out diameters for the widebands, there are too much back- reflexions and when the dimension of the cut out becomes smaller than the radiating surface of the cones this results new resonances. Straight partitions, covering the suspension on the sides of the cut out are fine and they doesn`t generate additional problems.

Regards
Robert Bastani

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.