Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Prometheus as monitors?

Hi,

you can use Prometheus in nearfield- applications, the broadband single driver- design allows a close listening- position. Common multiway- speakers require a bigger listening- distance for the addition of the different drivers which play in the midrange.
The close distance of the open baffles to the sidewalls can cause a higher cut- off to the woofers and the early reflexions from the walls can disturb the imaging. I recommend an easy inexpensive trial with small open baffles, this shows instantly if the placement works. This also depends a lot on individual room- geometry and surface of the walls.
In case that open baffles doesn`t work with the close wall- placement it is possible to built small sealed cabinets which cover the widebands. Then the benefits of open baffles are lost but i know from own experiences and a number of customers who did it this way to get a centerspeaker for their surround- setup that this method also results a very good sound compared to conventional speaker- designs. The benefits of high efficiency, the single- driver clarity and imaging will stay.
When you built sealed cabinets for the widebands the soundquality of Prometheus in comparison to any other speaker is interesting and there is the option to switch to open baffles later when eventually your room has changed.
Btw: For corners without any space to the walls sometimes there are horn- based speakers (midrange) an alternative because of the small dispersion (only few early reflexions from the sidewalls) but these are not good for monitoring and they require a big listening- distance.

Regards
Robert Bastani

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Prometheus as monitors? - Robert Bastani 23:33:27 07/26/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.