Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

All kinds of music

I've had my Mark II's (with the regular tweeters, not the Airforce tweeters) fully broken in and set up in my 300B SET system for about five or six months now.

Some speakers I've had in the past have been limited to particular types of music for best performance. I haven't had that experience with the Mark II's. I've found they are so revealing that they do justice to intimate little recordings with lots of ambience. I've also found they are so dynamic, sensitive, and robust that they do justice to big arrangements or hard-driving performers. And they sound to me like they're covering a wider frequency range than the single-driver speakers I've owned or heard in the past, so I don't have to worry about missing out on instrumentation at the frequency extremes.

I'm happier with Prometheus in my listening room than I have been with any other speaker. I still wish I could get 5-10db more relative energy at 20-30Hz, 200-400Hz, and 8kHz-18kHz, but this dissatisfaction is more on an analytical level and it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the presentation I'm getting out of my system. In fact, these speakers open the door to lower-power direct-coupled amps like 2A3 and 45s, so I'm looking forward to getting even more out of my system in the future.

One word of warning: the break-in period is hundreds of hours and I found the speakers to sound like complete and total crap during this time. I found them unlistenable and had to break them in down in the garage. Don't sell your old speakers until you're sure the new ones are broken in to your satisfaction!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.