Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

RE: Brand New Kit 1 - Questions

I would recommend you talk to Brian re tube issues. He will be able to give you good advice on what to do. It could be a dry solder joint, or dirty tube pins. MAKE SURE you do not use your volt meter on a live amp! Strong voltages in tube amps can kill. Best thing would be to power down, and half an hour later, take off the top and check connections, then check resistance across connections, to ensure you solder joints are sound. Look for dull joints or solder blobs very close to each other. There could be a bad joint or a short.

If all seems ok, check your resistors for correct readings on the ohm scale. And of course, check they in the right locations, as if wrong it can bump up the voltages out of specs.

Moving valve to the other channel will help to narrow your search. If the issue moves with the same valve, it is the valve, not the amp.

On tubes, I use Tungsol 5687 1960s NOS D Getters. They are the best sounding I have found and are not crazy money. I get 2 years use out of them (switched on all the time in my Audio Note Pre-amp).

For 300b I love the Pure Music TJ Solid Mesh 300b. They sound very dynamic and have great bass, plus keep all the best attributes of the classic 300b sound in my Audio Note Mono Blocks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.