Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

Brand New Kit 1 - Questions

Hi everyone. I just finished my very first amplifier kit build the other day; the Audio Note Kit 1. It has been a fun and educational experience. The sound I am getting so far is the best that I have ever had with my speakers (Zu Soul Superfly). I got custom output transformers with my kit, since my speakers are 16 ohm (8 and 16 ohm taps.)

I just had a couple of questions, and was looking for advice:

1. What tubes do you recommend for this amp?
The stock tubes sound nice, but I was wondering what upgrades everyone recommended. The kit came with:
Electro Harmonix 6SN7 and 5U4GB, Phillips NOS 5687, and Shuguang 300B (the regular ones).
I am told that the Phillips 5687's that I already have are VERY nice, though Tungsol is also recommended. Also, both the Shuguang Treasure and Emission Labs 300B have been recommended.
What do you guys think?

2. My second question involves the 5U4GB tube: I think that I may have wired something wrong, or made some other mistake (cold joint somewhere?) I purchased two NOS 5U4GB tubes (Raytheon and Sylvania) to try. Both of them arc when I first turn on the amp with quite a little lightning show for about one or two seconds, and then settle down and don't arc anymore.
The Electro Harmonix (new) that came with the kit does NOT arc, but it makes a constant "sizzling / rattling" noise; physically at the tube (not through the speakers). At turn on, the E.H. tube makes a few "boing boing" springy noises, and then does the sizzling sound from then on.
The NOS tubes are physically silent after the initial fireworks display.

However, as far as noise through one of the SPEAKERS, intermittently, with the E.H. tube, a "crackling / static" noise was coming out of the left speaker after startup, though I had to listen closely and could not hear it with music playing.
With the Raytheon, the sound is different (also intermittent). There is a light "tap tap thump thump" noise that progressively gets faster.
The Sylvania, so far, has no noise.
Turning the amp off, waiting and turning it on again will sometimes get rid of the noise coming out of the left SPEAKER.
Just for fun, I tried switching the two 300B positions, and both noises then moved to the RIGHT speaker.
I wonder if this is just a coincidence, and one of the 300B's is acting funny, although the noise coming from the speaker varies depending on the rectifier tube that is in.

Anyway, sorry to bore you all. ANY help or suggestions you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Brand New Kit 1 - Questions - agreenspan 14:08:25 05/20/13 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.