Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

RE: Interesting comments Magnaplanar, B&W

The dealer Soundhounds in Victoria British Columbia http://www.soundhounds.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=2

carries Bryston, Sim Audio, Classe, and Ayre so it was surprising to go into a room and see an Audio Note amp hooked up (it was however the Single Ended Soro) so I made a mistake - still this is not a very powerful amp but it is about double the power of the 8 watt 300B.

The point though is that they and I prefer the 1.7 with the AN than with the mammoth power SS speakers. It's not about sensitivity it's about a flat impedance and Magnepan does present a flat impedance so contrary to the myths of audio forums - it does not require a high watt amplifier. It requires a good amplifier. I also think that people are often dissatisfied with the dynamic ability of virtually all small/medium sized panels and so they think that by throwing lots of power at them it will help.

A lot of stereos just are not very good (contrary to the 5 star award winner and Stereophile class A lists) many stereos you always feel the need to turn the volume up up and up to make things out clearly. Using volume to compensate for poor low level resolution (something SET amps are masters at). With the SET you hear the information and it doesn't require volume to make things out because they're being made out at normal levels. Listening to the Meishu and the AN E/HE Spe herein Hong Kong I did play them fairly loud - but it didn't seem loud because it was so clear. (which is actually somewhat dangerous cause if it had been B&W and Bryston it would have bothered me and I would turn it down - or off).

They had the OTO push pull amp running the Quad 2905 electrostatics as well.

Terry the owner of Soundhounds sells a lot of gear - has sold most every big name audiophile brand over the last 40 years. I was kind of amused that in every system whether Audio Note or not he had an AN DAC in all of them to "fix" the sound. B&W and Classe with Soolos - he puts a DAC Zero in the chain. Sim Audio and Sonus Faber - got a CDT 2.1 in the chain.

Actually Soundhounds also sells Harbeth - It would be interesting to hear the combination - unfortunately I won't be in Canada until mid July.

Ok I just read the Hi-Fi Choice review - this SHOULD be a dead easy speaker to drive - in fact it should be just as easy to drive as the Audio Note J/Spe. Hi Fi Choice measured it and got 91db sensitivity and the speaker never drops below 5 ohms. The AN J/Spe is 89.5db and 92.5db in corners according to the same magazine. So apples to apples this is pretty much the same - both speakers are nominal 6ohm loads and neither goes under 5ohms - the AN E is actually harder to drive - it is 94db sensitive but dips to 3.6ohms through a large portion of the bass region.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/uploadfolder/shl5%20hifichoice%20oct2002.pdf

The review I found is from 2002 but still - many British brands conservatively spec their gear so it is possible that your speakers are conservatively speced (Hi FI Choice got 91db in the real world). Harbeth's website suggests 25 watts but it's still 6ohms and that is probably accounting for most SS users so 25 SS watts. I know some say watts are watts but it kinda isn't with the way amps clip.

If listening at under 80db then it should be more than fine.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interesting comments Magnaplanar, B&W - RGA 20:09:27 04/04/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.