Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

RE: Sound quality from the USB Dac?

Hi Guys
I am not sure I agree with the consensus of this thread. I can see it may be winding folk up that a great USB solution is not in the kits. BUT this technology is moving so quickly it is almost impossible to offer that I would think on a cost / product dev to be possible for such a small company as AN Kits.

I am cool with the kits without the USB, leaving me / others to find the USB to SPDIF converter to suit my budget and system. It also allows buying in stages (converter later) and building a computer streamer bit by bit.

The other thing it seems to me, is there are very few great DACs out there offering similarly great USB input for 3K US or less. Ok, we can all list dscPucini and others, but they are crazy money. Bsisdes, if you spent all that, maybe you would start thinking what else the money had gone into on other input types you were not to use.

In a way, I see the AN DACs being kits, as a buy to suit your pocket and system requirements. You get a great DAC for low cost (have to build it granted) and can then add more system functiuonality later to suit your needs, i.e. like a PC with extra memory, cards, HDs, and software.

The other thing I have read from many DAC manufactures, is it can be beneficial to have the USB and clocks OUTSIDE the box, so reduce RF and noise. And lets face it, tubed gear or SS gear can cause RF if it's all squashed into a tight case.

Now, my problem is which USB -SPDIF do I get (or can afford?)....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sound quality from the USB Dac? - astrostar 13:09:29 12/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.