Home ANK AudioKits Forum

ANK AudioKits support forum

RE: Ripp Flac files and dump the CDP??

Firstly I absolutely agree with your thoughts on the Naim route, destined to obsolete.

A quick list of my tweaks:

Hardware:

Mac Mini has SSD for the operating system and as much RAM as it will take. I use a Mac Mini that has an external PSU which is Linear. (This dates my Mac Mini as the last two generations have in built PSUs!)

I store all my music on an external Hard Drive. This is bespoke and uses an SoTM in line Sata filter and a 2.5" 5400 rpm drive in a modified Weibetech ToughTech Q 3.5" caddy, it has it's own linear PSU. It is connected to the Mac by firewire.

The key thing about the USB converter are the quality of the clocks & PSUs. I am not sure that V-Link is great in this department and interestingly the Off Ramp is probably to good for the Audio Note Dac as the SPDIF receiver on the AN DAC board is OK but not up to the quality and precision of the Off Ramp 5. The mid price M2Tech EVO is a good middle ground as it has the ability to be upgraded with a better PSU and Clock in time. ( i may be wrong here but I think the M2Tech and the Off Ramp use the same XMOS chipset)

Software:

iTunes as the base (controlled by itunes remote via ipad), reading AIFF files.

For playback I use Amarra, it is my favorite but PM, Bitperfect, Fidelia and Audivarna are all good. Prior to this set up I had a Teac Esoteric Transport, my system now outperforms that but it has taken time.......

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.