Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

okay here are my tips

get to know local hi-fi networks and let people know what sorts of things you're looking for. someone is bound to have heard of some old codger who's selling off his monoblocks, etc.

let dealers know your budget and that you'd be interested in second-hand gear -- it's in their interests to broker a deal between you and someone who is going to buy new gear from their dealership.

be patient waiting for the good pieces to show up.

putting together a good system (used or new) is a long-term project, and you might not get things right the first time off.

don't underestimate system synergy -- hunt down pieces that are known to go together well. if in doubt, email the manufacturers and ask their opinions.

trust the reviews and user feedback -- i've had great luck putting together a second-hand system based on reviews that i've found on-line.

some people say start with the speakers. other people say start with the source. best advice i've heard is start with the preamp -- that's the piece that will have the most influence on your system, so it's easier to build a system round the pre than to find a pre that will fit your system.

good luck!

a

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • okay here are my tips - newbilong 23:55:19 03/11/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.