Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Buying used - strategies?

First listen to everything you can to get an idea of what you like and dislike. Most manufacturers have a "House Sound", a sound they voice their equipment to match. Get a feel for what you prefer. I like my amp and preamp made by the same manufacturer. There is far less chance of a mismatch this way. Especially if you can't hear both pieces together.

Most dealers have used equipment that you can bring home and try. They also sometimes offer a short warranty period. Holm Audio has a used room, Audio Consultants and Quintessence Audio both also have used equipment. I am sure there are others but these are the ones I frequent.

You can also search Audiogon by zip code. For instance you can search all of Illinois by searching 60. I would rather buy a piece near me and maybe drive a little bit then have it shipped. That way I can see the condition and probably listen to it. If the piece is as described, I pay cash and take it with me. I don't like the idea of sending my money in the hopes that the piece will be as described.

Whenever you are considering a piece of equipment get the serial number. Call the manufacturer with the number and ask when it was made. This is a must! Most manufacturers will tell you everything they know about the unit. When I bought my VT-100, Audio Research told me when it was made, when it was upgraded, and that it never came back for repairs except the upgrade. If the seller will not give me the serial number then I lose interest very quickly.

You can get a great deal when buying a piece used. An amp that you could not afford new for maybe half the price used. But you can also get burned a lot easier then buying new. So you need to do your homework. I have bought most of my system used and could not have afforded the same stuff new.

"And is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?" - Roger Waters

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.