Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Buying used - strategies?

I'm in the market to replace my older NAD receiver - a T750. I've listened to some new gear (Bryston 3B SST/B25, Manley Mahis/Shrimp, Manley Stingray, Naim 112x/150x, Creek 5350SE) and have plans to listen to more (VTL IT-85, Krell 400xi, Ayre AX7e). So far, the Manley Mahi is the favorite, followed closely by the Naim. I'm matching it with Triangle Celius 202s and an Arcam CD7se.

I'm intrigued, though, by second hand gear. The type and quality of the gear I can get for the same price ($2k-4k) vastly expands if I dip into the used market. My question is, what's the best way to go about it? With new gear, you drop by the dealer, get some recommendations, and take a few pieces home. Matching gear is an easier proposition. With used gear, you'd likely be buying one piece at a time and A/B comparisons become difficult. Sure, some gear you could demo new from a dealer and then look for it used, but I don't have a desire to take advantage of someone's services if I'm not planning on buying.

Any tips, suggestions, or experiences are appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Buying used - strategies? - martydamnit 14:40:04 03/09/06 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.