Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

The Mk III apparently works a bit differently

middleground,

I'm not by any means an expert in this world, and have not heard a VT100/III, but my understanding is that the ARC VT100 MKI and MKII had one trimpot for each pair of 6550s. The assumption was a certain standard of matching of the 2-6550's for each channel, and in MKI and MKII, the one pot adjusts both tubes of each side.

When ARC redesigned the VT100 for MKIII and changed drivers from E88CC to the 6H30, one of the goals was to use those higher current drivers and careful design to extend tube life- both drivers and output. To further this goal, to get everything just right, the MKIII now has four bias trimpots- one for each tube- or two per channel if you like. This would add some fuss to biasing- four measurements instead of two, but as you know, Audio Research will jump in with something they feel improves the gear whenever they feel like it.

Again, I'm a technical Bambi, but that's what I think is going on!

The VT100 (and I've considered changing my D-115 to a VT130) I think is among the best newer Audio Research amplifiers.

What did you use before the VT100 and what other pieces are using with it now?

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.