Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

We're entitled to our sound preferences

Listening to audiophile preference for over 20 years I understand there are many who prefer the "musicality" of tube amps (and some S/S amps). Descriptions often include sound that's full, smoother, and (sometimes) having layered or "holographic" imaging. I have heard these qualities myself from certain equipment and understand what those folks are talking about. I agree that people are entitled to like these attributes.

Your explanation is that negative feedback robs the sound of these qualities because it causes higher order harmonic distortion.

My hypotheses is what what mainly contributes to these attributes isn't exclusively the absence of high order harmonics but, rather, the presence of 2nd and/or 3rd order harmonics.

I believe that lots of feedback reduces all harmonics and that includes high level harmonics. But it also greatly decreases 2nd & 3rd order harmonics and I believe that is why many do not like ultra-low distortion amps such as Purifi or Benchmark.

Dmitri Shostakovich

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.