Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: "No R2R experience"

Abe, yes, and climbing up the product line gets u a bit more 'till, on top, u have everything. That's what I found climbing up to a 50k stack of Naim gear years ago and that's still true. People say the Pontus II is the 'sweet spot', the point of most return on $$$ on the dacs. Probably true. Still seems a nice value, performance combination. Sorting thru and balancing a systems 'compromises' may be the hardest part. Athena would perhaps be the equivalent of your Benchmark preamp, giving you this but may take away that. The Denafrips line is 'sure footed' in a way that makes it hard to get wrong from a musical perspective. They don't make a 'bright', nor offensive, piece of gear. Hestia may not be the absolute 'last word' in staging, nor resolution in my great room, but works and fits nicely into a second, non critical, listening space. The Benchmark 3 dacs features and versatility kept me hooked for years, but the VMV D2 is better now. I wish it had preamp inputs as that's a big one, but that's it. Having I2S input, allowing an affordable DDC, which Denafrips also has, really opens up the soundstage. Upsampling thru Roon sounds great, as does MQA. (I know) Somebody here should try one of their DDC's w/your I2S dac, it can be a real eye opener as the performance gains are substantial, especially for the modest cost involved.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "No R2R experience" - regismc@wispertel.net 10:26:41 06/05/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.