Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Amp cutting out on more efficient speaker. Why?

The amp is a SMSL AO200 which is a cheap class D affair using Infineon chips and is rated at about 150/90/50wpc into 2/4/8ohms respectively. I've played it on two very different speakers: Big ass JBL L200's (15" woofer, about 96-97db) and a tiny pair of Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800's (4.5" woofer, 89db). Amp also has a "smart clipping" setting that apparently cuts the signal and emits a light ticking sound until you turn down and reboot. It apparently keeps things from getting damaged, and it works as I've forced it into action several times. Thing is, it's the JBLs that caused the clipping when the volume hit 35 of 70. On the DTs', I can go up to 45 of 70 and experience no clipping at all. Am I wrong to think I should be able to go to 45 out of 70 (if not higher) with the the JBL's with no issue, since the amp will put out at that level on a more difficult to drive speaker? I'm rather stumped by this.

voolston - audiophile by day, music lover by night!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Amp cutting out on more efficient speaker. Why? - voolston 00:03:40 05/13/22 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.