Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

re: "Tube amps will always outperform solid-state ..."

I'll take issue with that. Pretty much all my listening is with tube gear (all Manley - I'm a fan) but I've had some really wonderful s/s amps over the years.

The SAE 2200's, many of which are still doing yeoman duty in studios around the world, are very good. Their P250 was one of the best amps of all time. Luscious mids, great extension at both ends, great dynamics and low-level detail - it had it all.

All the BGWs from the 70's were excellent, with great low-level detail, wonderful mids, and frightening dynamics when called on. These are widely available for generally little money. They're easy to work on, so getting one and re-capping it can give you some of the best amplification available pretty cheap.

The Yamaha B-2 was a lovable oddball, as it seemed "voiced" to sound something like a great tube amp. Liquid mids. Bottom end with just a tiny hint of whumpiness. Sadly, it was made with VFETs which are unobtainium and for which there are no substitutes. (That happens sometimes in solid-state-land.)

I heard a pair of Mac MC2500's on big B&W floorstanders set up as nearfields(!) at Kaufmann Astoria Studios and the combo was superb.

I love my Manley Snappers on the Tannoys. The Bottlehead Crack amp on Sennheiser 800's is the best sound I've ever heard. But I have also loved lots of solid-state gear that delivered the music beautifully. Tube amps will always out-perform solid-state in *some* aspects of music reproduction, and solid-state will always out-perform tubes in other ways. Pick your poison and drink it down. It's all good.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.