Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Cambridge Audio CXA81 vs. Pathos Acoustics Classic One

Hello folks,

This is a bit of an idiosyncratic comparison, and I doubt anyone might have direct experience e with both of these amps, so I'm looking for more general thoughts-though if anyone does have specific experience, that would be great.

I used to post on here in olden days (moniker then was rhizomatic) but I have been out of the audiophile game for a long time. I'm thinking about changing up my system this year because my requirements have changed. So, as the title implies, right now I've got a Pathos Acoustics Classic One-I think a MK III, if it matters. I am looking at the Cambridge Audio CXA81, planning to sell the Pathos for hopefully the new price of the CA or around there.

I love my Pathos, which I've had since 2007, but, beyond itching for a general change, the Cambridge Audio has Bluetooth and more digital inputs, which I need. I've also been listening to more orchestral and complex music, and I'm thinking of going solid state and getting speakers with more drivers, to better handle everything going on in the music.

So, anyway, I'm wondering if this is ill-advised and would count as a downgrade. The Pathos is a great amp, with a tube-based preamp. When it came out it was always being compared to more expensive amps. I see that it's still retailing for $2995 new. The CA has great reviews but they're very much around the "nothing better at this price" theme. But the Pathos was made in 2007, and I don't know how things have changed since then. Would a great $1299 amp today beat a great $2400 amp from 2007?

Not sure what I'm fishing for here beyond words of advice from people who are more caught up with the state of things, and maybe someone who has happened to hear both these amps.

In any case thanks for any input and I hope you're all doing well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Cambridge Audio CXA81 vs. Pathos Acoustics Classic One - spookyinfo 22:30:22 05/10/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.