Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I love to hear AN and your other systems

I suppose I figure you might be like Peter Qvoptrup more than you think as he has a massive collection of Shostakovich is also around your age and has heard all the best competition and been to all the symphony halls world wide. You have an expectation bias that because it is a tube it is less clear - it's not the case. It is more "transparent" and "clear" and "Open" than typical tube amplifiers. I was fortunate because Soundhounds carried ARC, McIntosh, Wyatech Labs, Jolida, ASL and so I was able to audition various tube amplifiers that sounded "tube." I don't think your experience is wrong because I have heard plenty of "thick" "veiled" "bloated" tube amplifiers. Tube amps run a wider gambit of differences than SS. This means tube amplifiers can sound thick plodding bloated and slow. I don't want that any more than thin, bright, edgy, hollow, and artificial like the majority of SS (and some tube amps).

And as you have pointed out you are hearing differences with SS amplifiers where AMR says there aren't any and where the measurements don't indicate they should be audible and even worse where DBT's conclude people can't tell the difference.

There is only so much that people can audition and you just go by your own experiences. I have had complete turnarounds on gear as well. I remember auditioning an all BAT system and YG Acoustics with Ypsilon. I hated both of them at CES. Then at CAS - with the same gear I ranked them 1-2 best sound of the show. Audio Note didn't crack my top 20.

If this second show had been my first exposure to High-End Audio perhaps I would be sitting in front of MBL or YG Acoustics with the view that SET amps are a bizarre joke.

So it goes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.