Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: It comes down to preference

No. I like some SS amps more than some SETs or tubes. I have two EL84 amps and they don't sound alike. Not long back I sat and compared three power amps from Audio Note. A 2a3 Vindicator, a 45 Paladin, a 300B Quest. All what Audio Note classes as a level 3 amplifier so they all use the same quality of transformer windings, wiring and parts.

I liked all three but all three sound rather different. I preferred the 45 most, the 2a3 a close second and the 300B a distant last. Although I'd still take it over any Krell.

The Pureaudio One integrated/power amp is a Class A amplifier at 100 watts per channel made by the engineers from Plinius. That is a terrific sounding SS amp (just plain terrific not just for SS) and it would take out most tube amplifiers I have heard.

I am not some nostalgic guy - I grew up on SS and I genuinely find tube amps to be a pain in the ass - tube changing, boas adjustments meh - Audio Note is automatic but still. Gets hotter, sucks electricity.

I am even running a hybrid - Audio Note M1 with Wyred4Sound Class D - terrific results - kind of surprising given that back in the day Bel Canto was "nails on a chalkboard" to me. W4S uses the same Technology but modern and it has come a long way. I can listen and enjoy it all day now vs 15 years ago where I was looking to commit Hara Kiri.

Thankfully those days are gone.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.