Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

No one holds

a gun to a person's head to pay these prices.

If you have the cash and you want it then get it.

If you want expensive toys then you have to choose a career path that will get you the money to be able to buy these things.

I remember my dad being offered a promotion with the Federal government - he looked at the pay and the extra number of hours he would have to work and made the decision to turn it down. Being able to buy the next model up with leather seats wasn't important enough to sacrifice his time with his family.

Most small business owners I have known (at least in the first few years) put in huge amounts of hours to get their business off the ground - 70-100 hours a week - they basically live to make money. And then we grumble when they spend $30k on an amp or $200k on a car.

I left the business world (Seagate Software, N-Compass (Microsoft) etc, to become a teacher knowing that that meant that I would not be able to go too far in the world of audio or cars or homes. Since I am not a car guy - that would not bother me. I don't like big homes - more to clean and they always seem a little obnoxious to me. And Audio - I knew I was putting together systems better for less. The second hand is your friend here too. I happened to get LUCKY with the teaching world moving to Hong Kong for a 2-year contract with the intention of returning once the job market improved. It did, but HK offered teacher retention incentive packages to keep me here and the pay is so SOOOOO much higher than North America and the living standard very high and women who are way hotter and great food, etc that I decided to stay. This allowed me to buy considerably more expensive audio equipment. Albeit, I would be quite happy with their lower models.

Point is - we make choices in life. And we should try being objective. I may think it's nuts to spend $100k on an amp but if I hear it and it sounds better I can still think the price is nuts but say boy it does sound good and it offers a level of prestige that makes some sense.

As I often note. A $100 bill to some people is a lot of money. They are quite careful as to what they will do with that. If they won it on a scratch ticket they would be super amped. To another person, if they dropped 10 of them in the lake by accident they'd be like oops that sucks and they would not miss it.

At my audio dealer here in Hong Kong, I watched a guy buy one interconnect cable and one power cable from Audio Note UK and handed over the equivalent of $15,000US - counting out the cash. He told me that he buys all the top cables.

$100 to him is like $1 to you. So the $30k preamp to some people is the equivalent of $3,000 to some of us and maybe $3 to another group of us and .000003 cents to Jeff Bezos.

Edits: 04/11/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.