Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I had a Saga+...

I've been toying with a passive front end. I've tried several DACs and Schitt Lyr 3. I like that unit, but for some reason, using an outboard RCA switch box (https://www.ebay.com/itm/203013116882) and passive volume control (see link below) gives me a really spacious and transparent experience. At the moment, that's what I prefer. When I don't use the Lyr 3 to drive my power amp (a McIntosh 240), I use the switch box and volume control to select from turntable (via a Bellari VP130MK preamp), reel-to-reel take deck, Sony HD FM tuner, and SMSL Sanskrit DAC. Otherwise, I use the switchbox to route the turntable, tape deck, and tuner to the Lyr 3 (for analog), and use its DAC for digital material.

Both arrangements are good, but somehow, I am really enjoying the passive arrangement (switch box and volume control). The Sanskrit DAC, btw, is really good, delivering performance that used to cost a lot more.

Give the passive preamp approach a try before you invest in anything else. Regarding a tube buffer - you may or may not need/want one. My analog sources drive the McIntosh very well. (I read somewhere that the input impedance on tube amplifiers is well suited to passive front ends. YMMV.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I had a Saga+... - svisner 14:27:49 03/18/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.