Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I'm 95% convinced I want to change to a passive preamp. Thoughts?

My Rotel RC-970BX that I've had for 20 years isn't cutting it anymore. Was looking to replace it with a newer model (995, 1550) or an Adcom 715, maybe even a Sumo or something.
However, at best these are still only slightly newer than my old one.
For the same price I could get a brand new Schiit Saga+ and also upgrade to a better brand new phono pre. I don't need tape loops or tone controls.

I pulled the Rotel and put in my cheapie DIY passive pre, and it sounds better than the Rotel. Been using the passive pre the last couple of days and it's clear and mellow with my CD player and TT at moderate volumes. Haven't checked for slam and max volume yet, that's for this weekend.

If the volume levels and sound quality continue to check out is there any argument against going with the Saga+ over a 10-20 year old Rotel or Adcom?
With its tube buffer I figure it should sound even smoother and present a more consistent load to the other gear than my homemade one. Plus it's new, under warranty, and has a remote.

PS
When I say the Rotel isn't cutting it I mean:
1. it is having some operational issues -- have done some mods to fix these issues with only limited success.
2. when it does work properly it is obviously the weak link in the system as proved by a $30 diy passive improving the sound.
--

Mucking around the low-end since 1986.

Edits: 03/10/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - I'm 95% convinced I want to change to a passive preamp. Thoughts? - K-Bob 11:27:55 03/10/21 (56)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.