Amp/Preamp Asylum

RE: Yours is an interesting case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I'm pleased you approve of the Purifi amp.

Interestingly I don't agree with you that the Benchmark is a great amp for home listening! Yes, it's accurate (ideal in the recording studio) and has other nice features such as adjustable gain, but I had one for many months and found it DREARILY DULL. If an exciting listen requires a less accurate amp (per measurements), then bring on the inaccuracies!

I must admit I was unaware of the Purifi-based amp you have (VTV) but I think I'd have gone for the more costly NAD anyway. In addition to power amp, it includes preamp, phono stage, DAC, headphone output, Dirac Live room correction, a great IR remote and a high definition full-colour LED touch-screen that provides chapter and verse of what I'm listening to - and there's the saving of a dozen or so cables too. All for £4K - possibly the biggest bargain in hi-fi today. It's not perfect and lacks features that the M32 (and M12) offered, but the sound is truly great.

It did take a while and a dozen serious amp tests to find as good a sound as I enjoyed from tubes, but I was determined to succeed and I don't regret it for one minute. I'm now listening to much more music and my TV sounds a lot better too as I'd never have put its output through my tube system - apart maybe from the Last Night of the Proms and a few other concerts. Peter

Follow Ups: