Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: At least we agree on separates

> Separates certainly enable a gradual upgrade path. I've never used expensive cables so I don't regard that as an issue.

The trouble with that is you never have a totally up-to-date system. With 5 separates and you change only one item per 2 or 3 years, some of your kit by definition is 10-15 years old.

Each new purchase needs tons of research, trial and error if you want the best match with your older kit. I'd prefer to do my research less often, make a single purchase that doesn't need to match anything apart from the speakers and re-sell just one item every few years. So far, I've not lost much on hi-fi by buying new at a 25-30% discount or used at 50% less than list. When I re-sell I normally achieve 50% of its most recent price, so often as much as I paid for it. My 2002-purchased Avantgarde Unos were sold after 17 years at exactly what I paid for them new - £4200 - not a penny lost after 17 years of great service.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: At least we agree on separates - cawson@onetel.com 09:35:51 01/14/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.