Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Just...

> Since 2015, you've gone through three different generations of "obsolete proof" gear!

Nope - Around that time I started looking for a SS replacement for my 845 monobloc amps bought in January 2003. Since about 2015, I bought or borrowed a dozen amps to decide which to keep. The M32 (first keeper) was bought used in 2017. I sold it last year at a very small loss. It was recently changed for a new M33 at a cost of GDP3600 including 20% tax.

The dozen or so amps tested at home were demo units or ones bought used at good prices and re-sold at little or no loss. The bought ones included Accuphase A36, Gamut D200 Mk III, Micromega M100, Benchmark AHB2 (bought new but returned for full refund) and Sanders Magtech (for Martin Logans that proved unsatisfactory in my room).

The NAD sales nonsense suggested some of their units would remain current because of their module upgradability. They seem to have dropped this daft claim as these module bays are best thought of as available for optional extra flexibility. For example the M32 (and M12 preamp) can have a streamer module installed, or an HDMI one, or another to add to its analogue flexibility. No they don't upgrade the basic amp - I couldn't upgrade the M32 with a Purifi module), but at least I could choose not to have the options I don't need.

So, since January 2003 when I bought my 845 monos, I've changed my amp to M32 and then to M33, all at very little cost. I still have the 845s but may sell them soon. I should also sell the pile of unnecessary cables I've bought over the years as I now need just one AES/EBU cable (M50.2 to M33), one optical (TV to M33) and a pair of speaker cables.

You are welcome to do your thing with a dozen boxes and snake pits of cables, but please don't harp on about me choosing a single box that is cable-free and relatively SOTA for a number of years before relatively inexpensive total replacement. Thanks.

Edits: 01/14/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.