Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Old Nad vs. new NAD sound?

> what were the reasons you decided to switch from tubes to SS?

Well I listed them here on this forum soon after I decided to go SS, but that was 3 years ago, so maybe difficult for me to dig out the post. However, when switching on any tube amp one has to consider whether it's worth the cost in terms of valve depreciation, electricity bill and general wear, tear and maintenance of valve amps. I never put my TV output through my valve amp apart from a few concerts and didn't listen to the radio all the time I'm not listening to streamed or stored music.

Now I listen to FAR MORE music than I ever did with my valve kit - and it costs me next to nothing. I'm not contribution to global warming whatever that is, my bills are lower and the sound I listen to is as good or better than the best I've heard from my valve kit. This included amps by Art Audio (PX-25 and Carissa 845), Consonance (Cyber 845), Audio Note (300B), Graaf (6C33C OTL) and Unison Research (Smart 845). All good but no better than the modest NAD M33.

Edits: 01/13/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Old Nad vs. new NAD sound? - cawson@onetel.com 12:32:23 01/13/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.