Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Primaluna integrated questions...

"They didn't jam the entire stand-alone EVO 300 preamp section into the integrated chassis, they went streamlined.
I am curious how much preamp section there actually is, and what it actually does. Any thoughts?"

I have to wonder just what you think is missing by not "jamming the entire preamp circuitry" into the integrated.

Have you read the specifications for the EVO 300 amplifier? If not, you will be very relieved to understand that this amp has an input sensitivity of 870mV! In case you have forgotten your high school physics, that's .870 Vrms: < 1 Vrms (less than one volt root mean square).

Now we all know that the Red Book International standard output for a CD player or DAC is 2Vrms (two volts root mean square). So, it would seem ridiculous for an integrated amp to amplify a signal that is already too large for the input of amplifier.

So what does a preamp stage do if there is no need to amplify the signal? It provides switching and attenuation. So the first thing the preamp stage does is REDUCE THE SIGNAL AMPLITUDE in the volume control. So any talk of "passive" preamps is absurd since there is absolutely no need for any more amplification.

OK, I know this is a fact that is anathema to the dominant paradigm. That doesn't make it untrue.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.