Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: REVIEW: VTA Latino ST-70 kit Amplifier (Tube)

I'm way late to this party, but stumbled into the review. Like others, I couldn't agree more. After owning the Hafler DH220 and DH500, New York Audio Labs Moscode 300, Discrete Technology LS-2 (modded BK ST-140), and slightly modded/stock Dyna 70s for 20 years, I can say that the VTA -ST-70 mods are by far and away the best sounding amps I've owned.

The descriptions of the sound stage and inner detail are spot on. It's a very, very enticing amp to listen to. So much information presented in such a smooth, natural, and delicate way. Dynamics are great, bass is punchy and sounds like music. I didn't realize my speakers and my system were this good until doing the VTA mods.

A single VTA ST-70 is a great bang for the buck. I happened to have two, so I modded both and run them in a vertical bi-amp configuration in triode mode to take it to the next level. What can I say? I love the amps and the sound I'm getting, and the electric company loves me using them! ;-)

Edit: Dec-29, 2023:
Some 3 years+ later, I still really like these amps. More so now than ever, largely due to a new configuration of the whole system.

Vertical bi-amping has been blended with horizontal bi-amping with the addition a SS integrated amp mated to an active low pass crossover to drive the main woofers below 80hz. The passive low pass woofer crossover has been bypassed, and the tube amps run as single channel monoblocks to drive the mids/tweeters. Wow....that change got my attention! A system I've owned for 30 years and thought sounded really good, took a significant step forward. It's just better....there's not a more accurate way for me to say it. Great amps.

Edits: 12/29/23 12/29/23

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: REVIEW: VTA Latino ST-70 kit Amplifier (Tube) - knotscott 05:09:04 07/26/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.