Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Inexpensive Tube amp

The problem I see there is very little to zero resale value in kits or most Chinese amps.

If he buys an OTO now on the used market for $2,000 in 5 years he will probably sell it for $2000-$2300. Because there will still be new OTOs and the new OTO price in 5 years will be higher - that drags all second hand units up as well. There is no loss.

Now of course the problem with this is that you need to have enough money to actually get the $2,000 together in the first place which is no easy feat but still.

I like the idea of owning stuff that in general I will get most if not a bit more for it than I originally paid.

I sold my TT2 turntable for $600 more than I paid and I sold my Audio Note J/SPe speaker for $420 more than I originally paid after owning them for 13 years.

I like Kits and DIY mind you but it's gone money. I would do this if I absolutely knew that these would be my final destination products. Otherwise, if you have to buy unheard buy stuff where you don't lose money or lose as little as possible.

I mean even the Line Magnetic 211ia - I see these second hand already for half price and it's a current model - if they drop the model as Chinese outfits often do - that half the price will turn to 1/4 the price real fast.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.