Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Maybe a different solid-state amp and preamp?

My tough love says you got it all wrong! First get rid of those braided Kimber speaker cables. I had a few of those in their earlier incarnation in braided black and blue wires. They're flexible and look cool but I can just about guarantee you they kill bass. They did with every speaker / amp combo I've tried them with. I still have a few pair down in the basement collecting dust. I ran those cables when I first got started in this hobby and while others may not agree, I think they're junk. HomeDepot zipcord will sound better and at the very least, not kill off your bass. Don't believe me? Try it. It will cost you only a few bucks.

My Summary: Wrong amps, wrong linestage, wrong speaker cables. Sorry. Details below.

Comments below are with my Thiel CS2.4 speakers which do very nicely with the right tube amplification of sufficient power.

I had the Bryston 7BSST2 monoblocks in my system for only a brief few months. I thought they were powerful but a little lean in the mids, sterile, and thin compared to my preference for a more robust and full-bodied sound. I can easily achieve this with powerful tubes and come reasonably close with the right solid-state amp with a good tube linestage driving it.

I tried a couple tube linestages with the Bryston but it was an uphill battle. One of the linestages was the ARC LS25mkII which isn't known to be very tube-like. The Aesthetix Calypso was better in this regard but I was still struggling to get the Bryston mono blocks to sound the way I wanted them to. I ended up selling them.

I achieved better sonics with a pair of Class D monoblocks from Wyred4Sound, my Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated, and the Manley Neo-Classic 250 amps.

From my point of view, you have a lean sounding amp coupled to a lean sounding ARC linestage, along with speaker cables that "filter out" much of your bass.

One of my best sounding setups was the Cary SLP-05 tube linestage driving the Pass Labs X150.5 power amp. You might need more power and Pass Labs can deliver, and they sound nice too.

Just my 2-cents worth. Good luck!

My short lived Bryston setup. I tried ARC then Aesthetix linestages. Preferred Aesthetix but couldn't get the setup to sound nice

Tube rolling the Aesthetix to 'help correct' the Bryston sound.

These little Class D W4S monoblocks sound better than the Brystons but not quite there vs the Manley tube amps.

In this setup I'm driving the less demanding Tannoy Definition D500 speakers in my office.

I also had the ARC VSI-60 tube integrated for a while. I thought that one was a little lean sounding too compared to the Rogue Cronus Magnum, and the Rogue is not an overly tubey sounding amp.

ARC, prettier. Rogue, better sound for less money

Edits: 03/16/19 03/16/19 03/16/19 03/16/19 03/16/19 03/16/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.