Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Addendum

John,
I was a little premature in my last reply. I thought the Pass XA200.8 a push-pull amplifier but it is not (though it sort of is)
The Pass Aleph series was marketed as single-ended class A except the designs had a neat twist to dynamically adjust the output stage bias current so the amplifier output current swing could be 2x the DC bias current (rather than 1x the DC bias current for a pure single-ended class A design). The subsequent Pass X series are balanced push-pull amplifiers but I forgot that the XA series is a combination of X and Aleph, so the XA200.8 does not have the push-pull output of the X series. Instead it will have an Aleph-like class A bias current that could provide a dynamic output current twice the bias. Arguably that extra range is equivalent to class AB but if we re-visit my previous calculations with twice the maximum output current:

200W into 8 ohms sets the voltage rails as +/- 60V
If the DC power is 760W then the bias current could be as much as 760/120 = 6.3A. If the Aleph-like output can supply double the DC bias that is 9Arms (2*6.3/SQRT(2)) which is more than enough to provide 200W/8ohms in class A and provide 324W/4ohms in class A. Stereophile's measurement shows that the XA200.8 can supply 400W/4ohms so there is still a deficit in my calculations but this second round is much closer to matching the product description.

Regards,
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Addendum - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 19:21:59 03/11/19 (2)
    • RE: Addendum - John Elison 12:52:46 03/12/19 (1)
      • A summary - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 18:47:37 03/12/19 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.