Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: ANK AudioNoteKit Preamp Line: ?Sweet spot

The L3 Mk 2 is a very nice sounding kit preamp, particularly with the C-core transformers and an upgraded volume pot and NOS tubes. That said, building one is very likely to be an exercise in frustration. From my own experience and what I've read of others, the kit will arrive with a number of parts missing, the resolution of which will take weeks to resolve, most likely by you having to source on your own the parts that ANK still hasn't provided. Parts will differ significantly from what the directions describe, and you will be forced to wing it at some point. Contrary to kits such as Bottlehead or Tubes For HiFi, there are no test values to guide you and reassure you that you have assembled everything correctly, so you will have to take it on faith that your finished preamp is operating as designed. If that doesn't dissuade you, then I'd say that in my system I think it outperformed a Halo JC2, which gives it some sort of price-to-performance sweet spot. Would I build one again? Probably not.

John K.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.