Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

More tube rolling in the Freya

I'm using the Schiit Freya preamp since it first came out along with the GUNGNIR MULTIBIT DAC and modified Maggie 1.6 speakers and A W4S St-500 amp.

I was using a set of 6SN7W JAN Sylvania tubes (black base) in the voltage gain stage, along with a pair of 6SN7GT - VT-231 JAN RCA in the output stage. Things sounded GREAT!

In all honesty, I never noticed a difference in power cords or power cleaners and I warned not to invest in a USB power cleaners because the GUNGNIR MULTIBIT DAC simply did not need one. Again, there was a nice improvement in sound with the tube upgrade. I also realize that I have more invested in tubes than in the pre amp!

I recently spent $435 for a solid pair of Tung Sol 6sn7 round plate tubes for the voltage gain stage, and I moved the 6SN7W JAN Sylvania tubes to the output stage and I noticed another nice improvement! The improvement in sound clarity in the mids to highs is about all I interested in because almost all my music is classical, with a lot of famous Masses and Gregorian Chant.

I realize that I spent more tubes than the Freya itself, and there are some to think that spending so much money for the tubes than on a $699 preamp is crazy, but the tube upgrade seems to have nicely improved my listening pleasure which is all the really counts for me. The combination of the Freya pre amp and the GUNGNIR MULTIBIT DAC seem to be working great.

I also realize that the Freya uses some cheaper parts and people have suggested I upgrade them, but for what?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Humility is the true mark of genius. Just get used to it."
-Anonymous

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - More tube rolling in the Freya - scruffy_ 20:09:30 08/03/17 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.