Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Yes and OK

I'm happy with Walmart optical cables, I make make or alter existing cables to fit better for aesthetic purposes. Some which have failed over time, as have some of my other connections.

I have experience a lot of my own expectation bias in my 4.5 decades of audio. I have never cared to try a different power cord, and for fun I have woven CAT5 speaker cables and used Solid Romex in a blind speaker cable comparison. My humble main system MMG with Crown power amps are using 4 pole SpeakOn cables from Guitar Center (the cheaper ones).

I will be the first to admit that my mind is easily fooled into believing the reproduction is real (as long and the producers didn't screw up the mix - which they seem to do a lot of the time). I am so eager to get to "you are there" Nirvana that I've set up several surround modes in my receiver to aid in the conception of a live image. I use to use my old Advent Digital delay system for this. My HK receiver has 17 modes to choose from - every one programmed to provide a near identical level at the listening seat. The optimum settings reside in the liner notes of my CD's and LP's. I wish I had more control over the side loudspeaker delays - and I haven't yet been happy with the few times I have tried 7 channels.

I am also starting to remaster some of my albums as I put them on to a digital server. This is time consuming, but it is amazing how you can take a poorly produced album of a great performance an give it new life with a little more or less stereo spread and dynamic expansion.

IMO, If the audiophile market was not so fixated on stereo only reproduction systems, the tools are available with DSP's today to make a phenomenal real time "image processor" where with a few knobs and sliders and 4 or mode channels of output and a little reverb we would all enjoy the "obsession" a little more without arguing the validity of DBT's.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes and OK - BigguyinATL 13:07:41 07/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.