Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

VTA (Vacuum Tube Audio) SP9 preamp

New guy here, figured I'd see if anyone uses one of these. Picked up a completely built SP9 preamp with the PH6 phono board and factory case with remote volume and switching but alas, no remote control. How do folks lose these? Anyway, it's an absolutely beautiful build inside and out and is quiet as a church mouse.
The line stage uses four 12AX7 tubes and it was filled with JJ brand tubes. I pulled them out within 30 seconds, sounded like crap and looked at my stash. I found two used Tele's that went into the rear two sockets and two NOS JAN Sylvania's for the front two sockets. Wow, what a difference. I put on some Dire Straits and started hearing instruments that before were just blended together. Everything about this was a major step up from anything that I have heard before.
I use a CDP as a source, Mac MC40 monoblocks and my speakers are HeathKit AS101's, basically Altec Valencias in much nicer cabinets. They have been modded with Model 19 crossovers and the horn drivers changed out to 902's.
I'm sure that I didn't hit the sweet spot with tubes yet, has anyone had experience rolling tubes in one of these? Can it actually get better?
Thanks

BillWojo

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - VTA (Vacuum Tube Audio) SP9 preamp - BillWojo 19:36:36 07/19/17 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.