Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Multimeter with max voltage hold

I did something like you propose several years ago with my actively biamped MGIIIa's, placing the DMM across the woofer. Typically my peak listening volume is around 85db, perhaps going to 90db at times. IIRC I measured a peak voltage around 12V which would calculate to 36 watts. The amplifier I was using produced 500 wpc at 4 ohms. I concluded that the measurement was pretty much useless but that my amplifier was more than capable for my listening levels.
I don't remember the brand of my DMM but I purchased it around 10 years ago for ~$50 on Ebay. It has a peak hold function but is not true RMS.
If I were to buy another DMM, I would get one with LCR function. For my use, the meter is accurate enough and I really don't need true RMS. You can peruse Ebay and find something suitable for under $70. FWIW I did buy a used scope a few years ago for around $250 (Tektronics 2336).
BTW I did measure the inductance of the woofer it was a fraction of a mH (I don't recall the exact value) so it is essentially purely resisitive.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Multimeter with max voltage hold - neolith 10:28:17 07/17/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.