Amp/Preamp Asylum

Power-on funtion of amplifier on the fritz.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I took a Lexicon NT 212 (re-branded Bryston 3B-ST) power amplifier out of storage for a secondary system. The NT 212 had been on the fritz, but still functioned.

Since buying the NT 212 years ago within the used marketplace, the first issue had been that the amplifier took longer than the normal 4 second delay for the soft start feature to power-on the amplifier, but without any issue once the amplifier powered-on. In every other respect, the amplifier had been stable and trouble-free.

Yesterday, the amplifier did not power-on at all, as dead as a doornail. So I checked the pair of fuses located in the IEC inlet fuse holder, and found that both fuses were blown. I then replaced the fuses with the proper 4A fuse value and plugged the NT 212 into a GFCI protected AC outlet to see if the device would power-on:

With the power switch in the off position, I plugged-in the power cord and immediately saw that the two LED indicator lights were illuminated. Pressing the switch to the on/off positions does not change the indicator lights. Even though not under a load for the test to help discharge the power supply caps, when the switch stays in the off position for approx 1 hour the pair of green indicator lights still remain illuminated.

Note: The remote trigger function is in the off position, so that aspect does not seem to be an issue in this case.

So I wish to avoid the next step of testing the NT 212 under load in the system until I get an idea of what may have happened, or what might be happening at this time.

TIA

Follow Ups: