Amp/Preamp Asylum

Bi/Tri/Sub/Subs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Amp/Preamp Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

If you're going to do a single (one channel) sub, 50 Hz/24 dB per octave is about the max, depending on your hearing and listening sensitivity.

My point was regarding stereo subs. 125-150 Hz takes a LOT of the load off the main speakers, and is a good crossover area, without having to be concerned with localization and/or having a crossover in a bad musical instrument place.

I understand that powered/crossed "subs" with a bi-amped two-way speaker is, in fact, a tri-amped speaker. What I said is that tri-amping is even better than bi-amping.

Lastly, again, do not worry about 10-15 foot speaker cable lengths, especially with regard to stray RFI. Your RFI/EMI/hum interference is going to come from your low-level component interconnects and from having your components connected to multiple outlets, as well as from your and your neighbor's electronic kitchen oven temperature sensors. For home listening, 20 feet of 12 gauge twisted pair will get you into "the zone" and will be fine. Chill out, dude!

:)

Follow Ups: