Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Krazy kwestion about older Krell preamps...

"I'm willing to bet that SOME of these units have line stages that are VERY similar, or perhaps exactly the same as those found in Krell's stand alone line stages of the day (which still sell for a VERY pretty penny.)"

Possibly but I wouldn't count on it because most AV processors that I know of use multi-channel electronic volume control integrated circuits and signal processing to handle multiple channels simultaneously.

A simple 2-ch preamp can get by with a quality 2-gang analog volume pot or a less complex electronic attenuator (vs an AV processor). The volume control is a key element in how a preamp sounds and in my experience a 2-ch preamp will sound better than an AV processor for 2-ch duties.

If I were in the market for a Krell preamp on the cheap I would look to the KAV-280P. They're available in black or silver and to my ears they sound slightly better than the highly regarded (and older) Krell KRC-HR. But either of these may be available in your price range. I owned the KAV-280P for a while and it was very good.

Edits: 07/14/17 07/14/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.